Thursday, July 31, 2008

Growing Up

Lately I've been thinking a lot about growing up. So I thought I'd share my random thoughts about growing up with you.

Remember when you were little, and you thought you'd just NEVER get bigger, or grow up?! You always wished you could be older so you could do better things. When you were 3 or 4 you wished you were 5 so you could go to school. When you were 9 you couldn't wait to turn the double digit 10! And of COURSE when you were twelve, well you couldn't WAIT to turn 13 and be a TEENAGER!!!

I'll stop there for a minute. My pastor did a sermon on being a teenager. And how we don't have true men and true women, because whether your little or grown, you want to be like a teenager. if your 5, you want to be a teen, if your 20-50 you want to be 'in' and 'cool' like a teenager. But thats sooo horrible!! Think about it. Are teenagers REALLY that smart?! I have known a lot of people that just don't get things. I [and I'm not trying to brag or be boastful] matured decently fast. I still have a TON to learn, but I do know a lot that most kids my age don't understand. My pastor talked about how before the word 'teenager' even evolved, you were little and wanted to be a grown up. And when you hit 13-14 you DID get married then and started having kids. The thing is, back then, you knew most everything you needed to know about raising a family. These days, it's not that way.

Back to getting older. When you are 15 you can't WAIT to be 16 and be able to DRIVE! Then your 17 kind of an odd year [I'm here right now] and want to be 18, so you can leave home and start your life, totally independent.

Now I know, when you are little, you just DON'T get it, it's not understandable, when people say "Don't wish your life away." But now that I'm 17 [going on 18 in May '09] I can't help but wish that I understood. I missed probably a lot by wishing I was older.

Now that I'm a senior in high school, there's a lot of thoughts crossing my mind. I know what I want to do with my life, and thats become a wife and mother. I want to stay at home with my kids, and homeschool and all that fun stuff. But I'm still thinking about college. I know it's a GREAT opportunity, but I'm thinking a lot about the money. If I would go to college for a 4 year program at BJU [where I plan to go to college if I DO end up going] I will have spent over $60,000. And I would be in debt when I graduated. I've been trying to think of ways where I could just go one or two years just to get the extra experience, but it's hard finding a one or two year program on something like, Family and Consumer Sciences. {something I could use being a mother}

Hmm...it's getting late so I should really turn in. But those are just a few thoughts. Just random and thrown together. Let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

Bonnie Faber said...

I know how you feel =)
I'm 17 right now too, and I am actually dreading turning 18... even though that is the age every kid always wants to be!
College is soooo expensive... I'm trying to get scholarships and stuff, but the college I am planning to go to (www.heidelberg.edu) which is in my town (so I can live at home - no boarding cost!) will probably be at least $20,000 a year... ahhhh!!