Thursday, November 15, 2007

Christian College

Hi guys,

I attend a thing called co-op. For those of you who do not know what that is, it is home schoolers getting together for extra classes and fun. We have to regular [like school] classes and then the 3rd class is the fun class in which we get to pick a 'club'. This year I had Journalism and Worldview for my regular classes, and my friend's mom and I taught a volleyball. [my friend is in college] Anyway, where I'm going with this is for Journalism we had to write an 'article'. We were supposed to do interviews and stuff, but sometimes it's just hard...Anywho, here is my article. Let me know what you think. It's due tomorrow, soooo you don't really get any say in the final product. Here it is....

Why Christians Should Go To Christian Colleges
by Emily Barclay

I never really wanted to go to college when I was younger, but I am starting to see the value of it now. I have been back and forth on where I wanted to go and whether I even wanted to go or not for about that past 3 or 4 years. I have wanted to go to Bob Jones University in South Carolina, but changed my mind because it’s so far away and it’s expensive. Not to mention the ‘standards.’ So I thought maybe a local college. I went through a really low time in my Christian life the past few years. This year the Lord has revived my heart and shown me the need of why I need to go to a Christian college and not a secular college. A speaker was at our church a few weeks ago and his message really made me think and fully finalize my answer.

In Psalm 1:3 it says, “And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.” In this passage of Scripture it is telling us what our goal should be as Christians. To make it simple our goal should be to live like a tree that never withers and always prospers. In verses 1 and 2 it explains how we can work at accomplishing that goal.

In verse one it says, “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.” These are thing 3 things that a Christian should not do. 1) We should not walk in the counsel of the ungodly. If we go to a secular school, we are automatically assuming that not every teacher is going to be a Christian. We would be lucky to have one. But if you go to a Christian college, you can most likely garuntee that every teacher will want to help you in your academics and your spiritual walk with Christ. I have witnessed much of this visiting BJU (Bob Jones University), and that is the kind of counsel I should be seeking. 2) We should not stand in the way of the sinners. Here it means, we should not bond ourselves with sinners or the ungodly. Sure, we may witness to them, but we should not be known for always being with them. We should desire to be in the fellowship with like-minded Christians. 3) We should not sit with the scornful. Scorning something is mocking something, and in this case it means mocking God or other Christians. As Christians we should definitely not mock God. Someone else told me that if you look at the process, it is slowly diminishing the Christian walk with Christ. First we have walking, then it reduces to standing, and then to sitting. It is the slow backward process of striving for Christ.

Now verse two says, “But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” These are 2 things that the Christian should be doing. 1) We should be delighting or loving the law of the Lord. We should be obeying the commandments and all else that is in God’s Word. 2) We should be meditating or focusing on it as often as we can. Only then will we find answers and be joyful and content in the Lord.

So not doing the three things in verse one, and doing the two things in verse two, we will become like a tree that does not wither in verse three. You may say, “Well, once you get out of college you’re going straight for a world of sin.” And sure, that is true, but with that extra building of character and getting more grounded in God’s Word, you will be fully prepared for the world of sin rather than if you would go to a secular college.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soooo, what do you all think??

~~Em

2 comments:

Molly Sipling said...

Good paper... I like how you added Biblical things to it to get your point across. :]
Do you like to write?

Emily said...

Thank you!!!

And no...I don't really like to write...But sometimes I get inspired!! :)